Kutaisi Akaki Tsereteli State University was actually formed on the basis of Tbilisi State University. In 1918 under the direction of the great son of the Georgian nation Ivane Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University was founded. In July, 1930 the government abolished the Tbilisi State University and on its basis four independent higher education institutions were created. One of them was State Pedagogical Institute, which starting from that period to 1933 was functioning in Tbilisi.
Under the resolution of January 8, 1933, the Tbilisi State University was restored. And the mentioned Pedagogical Institute moved to Kutaisi and continued functioning here from February 13 the same year. In 1933-1990 it existed under the name – Aleksandre Tsulukidze State Pedagogical Institute. The institute was accommodated in the city center, in the building were before a Real College was functioning. On the first academic year (1933) up to 700 students who had moved from Tbilisi to our town were studying in their first and second years at the Pedagogical Institute founded in Kutaisi. Following them their professors came to work to Kutaisi. In different years the following people worked and delivered lectures at the university: Giorgi Akhvlediani (1887-1973), Aleksandre Baramidze (1902-1994), Kote Bakradze (1898-1970), Ivane Beritashvili (1884-1974), Niko Berdzenishvili (1894-1965), Angia Bochorishvili (1902-1982), Levan Gokieli (1901-1975), Varlam Topuria (1900-1966), Ivane Kacharava (1894-1977), Korneli Kekelidze (1879-1962), Niko Ketskhoveli (1897-1982), Mate Mirianashvili (1906—1975), Shalva Nutsubidze (1888-1969), Mikheil Sabashvili (1900-1979), Dimitri Uznadze (1886-1950), Aleksandre Prangishvili (1907-1989), Simon Kaukhchishvili (1895-1981), Akaki Shanidze (1887-1987), Vasil Chantladze (1904-1995), Arnold Chikobava (1898-1985) etc.
In 1990 the higher education institution was transformed to Kutaisi Akaki Tsereteli State University, which was the logical conclusion of the great accomplishments done successfully by this institution during almost six decades of its existence.
The Kutaisi N. Muskhelishvili Polytechnic Institute was officially given the status on September 23, 1973 and the opening ceremony was held on September 1, 1974.
The establishment of the new institute in Kutaisi was preceded by many years of preparatory period. In 1946 study and consulting point of Georgian Polytechnic Institute was opened in Kutaisi, which in 1953 was transformed to evening and correspondence learning faculty. In 1968 the internal department was added and the institute became Kutaisi Faculty of the Georgian Polytechnic Institute.
In 1974 on the basis of the Kutaisi Faculty a Polytechnic Institute was opened, which was granted the name of the academician Niko Muskhelishvili in 1977.
The priority majors of the higher education institution are considered: Light, Textile and Food Industry Engineering. The first departments opened were: Philosophy, Higher Mathematics, Graphics Engineering and Drawing Geometry, Physics and Applied Technical Mechanics. Gradually the number of the departments increased and Electric Technology and Textile Industry, Food Technology and Economics Departments were added. The learning and material-technical basis and light industry laboratories were expanded and improved. The transportation, engineering mechanics and electric technology faculties were opened.
On September 21, 1992 Kutaisi N. Muskhelishvili Polytechical Institute was granted the status of the university and was named Kutaisi Niko Muskhelishvili State Technical University.
As a result of preparation of employees, high level of scientific potential and the relationships with the scientific centers of highly developed countries the university gained the conventional recognition. The history of Akaki Tsereteli State University started seven decades ago and now it is the university distinguished with its traditions throughout Georgia and which holds an honorable place in the business of cultural, intellectual and moral education of Georgian nation. According to the Georgian government’s resolution #39 as of February 23, 2006 the legal entities of public law Kutiasi Akaki Tsereteli State University and Kutaisi N. Muskhelishvili State Technical University were united into one, the educational status being determined to be the university and was named Akaki Tsereteli State University.